I Can't vs. I Choose

One of the first things I tell people when they start asking questions about "what can I have on my diet", is this.  There is nothing I "CAN'T" have on my diet, but there are a number of things that I "CHOOSE" not to overindulge in.  I am an adult, with the ability to reason and research information.  I am responsible for my choices.

You see, a major cause of diet failure is that feeling of deprivation.  When you stop to think that you can never have this or that favorite item again, it can be depressing!  But the reality is, it's not true.  There is truly nothing off-limits once you reach your goal, and understand the basic mechanics of your body and its reaction to the foods you want to eat.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying that once you lose your weight and regain your health that you can then return to the abysmal "Standard American Diet" (it is called the SAD diet - that is the most appropriate acronym I can imagine!) What I am saying, is that once you've brought your body chemistry back into line with the way it was designed to operate, you can enjoy any foods you want in reasonable moderation.  You'll know the composition of your foods, and you know to have a recovery plan when you indulge.

I will probably never sit down again to a huge plate of spaghetti with a side of garlic Texas toast.  And I'm okay with that.  BUT, I will occasionally have a small portion of spaghetti, bread, potatoes, etc.  They key is to make it a treat, rather than a staple.  Proteins and fats should still, always be the lion's portion of each meal, but you aren't going to suddenly balloon up overnight if you have a baked potato with your steak once in a while, or even a small portion of pasta.  Just don't do it every day (or even every week, to be honest).

Now that I am very near my target, I am shifting toward "Maintenance Mode", a phase which will last the rest of my life.  In preparation for transitioning to this phase, I decided to conduct a small experiment for the month of May. I called it "No Weigh May".  




The purpose behind "No Weigh May" was about balance between watching my health and living my life. The goal was to just eat and enjoy life without tracking my food, without tracking my weight, without worrying about every gram of anything. I have been eating this way for 15 months and by now I should know instinctively what I can and cannot manage.  I will admit to cheating a little bit and jumping on the scale a couple of times, but I didn't record the number, nor did I let the results alter my plans for the day.  This was a challenging month because May is the month that my son, my brother, and my mother all have birthdays. But I survived, and even enjoyed myself.  It is over now and I am quite pleased with the results:

April 30, 2019 - Weight 151.6
June 03, 2019 - Weight 152.4

Yes, there is a tiny upward tic, but I know from 15-months worth of tracking that this amount is completely insignificant and I can make it go away in 24 hours. I still want to lose 5-10 more lbs (2-4kg), but I'm in no hurry and I'm fine with hanging out here at around 150 (68kg) and working on my tone while my skin catches up 🤣. In short, I have basically arrived at my destination. I'm sight-seeing right now and learning to live in my new environment--one that contains loads of nice small clothes for me to wear! Over time, I expect to divorce myself completely from my scale.  It was just a tool and it's usefulness is waning.

I've taken a step out into the wide world of free-range eating.  I confronted the Standard American Fare face-to-face, and I made CHOICES that suit my body and my health.  When I first started losing weight, my doctor assumed (and said so) that it was due to me finally complying with the recommendations to "Eat Less / Move More"  He said, "You're controlling your portions, right?"  My answer then, and my answer to this day (and for the rest of my life) is no, I do not control my portions.  I eat with abandon!  I eat all I want!  What I control, is my CHOICES.  I choose to eat foods that are high in fat, moderate in protein and very low in carbohydrates. I choose to eat foods that I know will not cause undue insulin reactions in my blood.  I choose to eat foods that are nutrient dense and not filled with empty calories.  And I choose not to count calories at all!

No Weigh May was my first baby step in weaning myself off of constantly "being on a diet".  I don't recommend giving up your tracking until you are at or very near your goal, and not until you are comfortable that you can make good sound choices without the aid of a mechanism for tracking your foods.  This is my first venture away from my tools since I began 15 months ago.  For the month of June, I am back to tracking, at least partially, so I don't lose sight of "True North" in my journey.  But now I know.  The bottom line for living is always "I CHOOSE" vs. "I CAN'T".  There is nothing I can't have if I truly want it.  I just have to make the right choices.

And to wrap it up...

A New Recipe!

Lemon Bars - if you are a fan of the regular version of lemon bars, you will love these! These are very true to the original recipe but with only 2.3 net carbs per bar, they are a perfect sweet treat to end your meal or take to a social gathering to share.  I adore these and will probably be making them again as soon as this batch is gone.

Be sure to subscribe so you know when I post new stuff, and please use the comment section below to ask any questions or let me know a topic you're interested in.

Have a blessed day!

HOME



Comments