Cracking the Code

One of my favorite subject matter experts on healthy dieting is Dr. Jason Fung.  While he isn't a direct proponent of the Keto diet, he does highly stress the need to cut carbs and sugars out of your diet, and focus on proteins and healthy fats for your basic nutritional needs.  Dr. Fung has written two books, one of which I've read more than once and it was the catalyst for getting me started on a new way of eating.  The book that started it all for me was called The Obesity Code.  I was looking for someone to tell me exactly what to do to fix my failing health in a way that I could understand.  You see, I've lost weight in the past -- not significant quantities like I have now -- but I never really understood "why".  If I don't know why a diet works, then when it stalls, I don't know what else to do or how to move forward.  That was usually when I gave up.


When I first started listening to Dr. Fung's book (I'm an audiobook fan), it was hard for me and I was not in a good place.  I wasn't ready for a drastic change in my life or my way of thinking.  About halfway through the book, my takeaway was that everything I knew was wrong and I was doomed to fail.  Of course, six months later when I did actually finish the book, I came to understand what Dr. Fung was saying.  Yes, everything I knew was wrong and I was doomed to fail...unless, I came to an understanding of how food actually works in the body.  Now, when I stall, I know what's probably going on, what changes I can make, and what to expect when I adjust my diet.


So there are a few secrets I learned along the way.  I highly recommend you read Dr. Fung's book (he also has another called The Diabetes Code, which I am certain is just as enlightening), but to fill the gap for now:

Snacking
When asked, Dr. Fung says that the best thing to have for a snack is "...nothing. Don't eat snacks. Period. Simplify your life."

You have to stop and ask yourself, is this snack necessary? The answer should be no. If you are feeling hungry (truly hungry and not just bored), then you need to reconsider your meals.  Meals should fill you up and sustain you until the next eating window.  Make sure your meals have enough healthy fat and good proteins.  Proteins are slower digesting and fats are satiating so a good combination of these will fill you up and keep you satisfied for a longer period of time.


By the way, being a little peckish between meals is not a bad thing.  Hunger is not typically an increasingly annoying sensation.  It comes in waves.  If you can push through when the feeling hits, unless you are malnourished, it should subside with no lasting effects.

If you can't push past the gnawing feeling, try having a glass of water.  You can enhance your water with wedges of lemon or orange, or slices of strawberry or cucumber.  Hot or iced tea or coffee is another good way to curb those snacking habits.

Fasting
At one time in my life, term fasting was an immediate turn-off.  Because of my health conditions, my myriad of medications, and my general "don't wanna attitude", I had myself (and others) convinced that I was incapable of fasting.  The fact of the matter is, most people CAN fast.  Even if you are on medication, you can work with your doctor and work out short periods of fasting.

Now, I'm not talking about going days and days with nothing.  Dietary intermittent fasting involves one to two days per week for 12 to 18 hours each day with no food.  If you think about it, it's not that hard.  If you "close" your eating window after dinner (say 7pm), and don't eat again until lunch the following day (at noon), you will have successfully fasted for around 16 hours.  Do this 2-3 times a week to improve your body's insulin stability.  Keto in and of itself, if done properly, will give you many of the benefits of fasting already.  Adding intermittent fasting (even up to 24-36 hours) can help break plateaus and stimulate fat burning processes in your body.

Once you get past the mental part of fasting, and you've successfully pushed past the hunger pangs, you will find that it can be actually very uplifting.  With fasting comes a clarity of thought, a lightness of being, and more energy than you might expect.  Find an alternative focus for yourself (worship, study, hobbies) during the fast period and learn to ignore the physical reminders. For some, planning the fast-breaking meal is stimulating.  The best recommendation for that is to continue forward and Keto on.  Just because you've fasted for a period of time, don't use that as carte blanche to eat off plan.  My first meal following a dietary fast is the same meal I would have had on a regular eating day.  To increase your intake to accommodate for a fast will only lessen the benefits of fasting.

Celebrations
Life is a party! Okay, no it's not. Life is day-to-day minutia.  We put up with the minutia so that on occasion we CAN have a party, a feast, a celebration.  The trick here is to make up your mind about what is truly a celebration, and what is just an opportunity to have cake.  If, like me, you are a member of a church or synagogue, there are always events to show up at as often as every few weeks with goodies in hand and a plate to fill. These are opportunities, not celebrations. When opportunities come into your life, think of it as a day you either a) don't have to cook or b) can fast.  I have done improptu fasting when I show up at a group meal and everything is macaroni and cheese or spaghetti.  

Chances are, though, you can generally find enough to sustain you through the gathering by being careful and choosy.  Go for meat and cheese trays, salads, veggies with dip, and meat dishes that either don't have pasta, or you can easily pick around the pasta (I pick meatballs out of spaghetti, and eat chili without eating the beans).  Burgers and hotdogs can go bunless and most sandwiches can be deconstructed.  My survival technique for these gatherings is to bring a dessert that I can eat.  That way, no matter what, I get a sweet treat!  The truth is, most people at these gatherings are focused on socializing and balancing their own plate and won't even notice your odd selections.  If they do, just tell them you're on a very restrictive diet.
(PSST, you really aren't but the sympathy is comforting, hehehe).

So plan your meals with plenty of healthy proteins and fats; skip the between meal snacks (sorry-not sorry, Snackfood Industry); drink lots of water, coffee, and tea; and add intermittent fasting to your weekly routine for an extra boost in your Ketone-making super powers and to improve your insulin resistance and ability to lose weight in a healthy way.

New Recipes!

Make sure you click on the three bars at the top left and check out my ever-growing recipe collection.  New adds for this post:

Birthday Cake (and a bonus recipe for frosting!)
Burger Poppers
Snickerdoodles

And be sure to subscribe so you know when I post new stuff, and please use the comment section below to ask any questions.

Have a blessed day!



Comments

Post a Comment